Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Things as they are right now

Today was definitely a big day. I started this at the suggestion of a friend when I was talking about all my recent aims in life. There sure is a lot going on... Having moved to Sydney I have gone though a huge learning curve as I discovered what I can really expect out of life. And what it takes to get what you want out of life.

I pretty much moved here after a failed attempt at getting work in China, I guess I thought things would come rather easily but now I can say I was happy I was wrong. It helps to know what I am capable of and I really pushed my limits. It will be interesting to see how much further I can go.

So what happened today? I went to a press conference for a Chinese singing contest. Much like American Idol but based out of Hunan. This year there is a strong emphasis on encouraging non just ex-patriots living overseas, but encouraging Chinese speaking foreigners. I had originally intended to go there and do some networking, but as soon as I got there it was a daunting as the first day I arrived in Sydney. I was faced with my own limitations and the scary gap between where I am and where I want to be in life. I not only had limited Chinese, but a limited understanding of what was going on in general, and a crippling shyness that I could not shake.

Luckily I went out to coffee with my friend who invited me and she share some inspirations insights. Although this an awkward stage in my life, try to follow my personally belief that ‘growing up is giving up’, I have to think of things like ‘how to I package myself?’. But it’s true. I have something to offer a prospective employer. I have something that I want to offer the world, and I can do that through my work.

At the moment I’m going to concentrate on Chinese Corner, and Toastmaters, see what confidence I can build while I continue to get everything settled. I do not want to get comfortable with my café work. I want to keep going forward in a way that that reflects my desires and ethics.

Hopefully I can keep true to that, and this blog will be an interesting way to keep track of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment